Monday, March 22, 2010

Refined Sweetener Free Challenge

Cara over at Health, Home, Happiness is having a Refined Sweetener Free Challenge next month.  I would have to heartily agree with that challenge.

We don't have anything to eat in our house anymore that has white sugar or corn syrup in it :p.  The closest you might find would be the few things we buy in a box or package that have "evaporated cane juice crystals".  And, if you think about it, that is really close to what white sugar is, and yet, cane juice crystals, or turbinado sugar (also known as "raw" sugar, this is what I have in my cupboard) does not affect us like white/refined sugars do.

Yesterday I had something so small as a 1x1 inch square of a jam/oatmeal bar cookie.  I guess it was like taking a big tablespoon of sugar, because it made me feel so yuck!  My husband had the same and he said the same thing.  Just made me feel gross.  Another motivation to stay away from the refined sugars...  besides what they do in our bodies.

I still like sweet things, I haven't lost that, but I prefer my sweets made with honey, maple syrup or unrefined cane sugar.  These are so much gentler on my body.  I think I might try these "soaked" granola bars this week if I need something sweet.  Or maybe some tapioca- I'll let you know how it goes!  Of course my go-to for something sweet in the evening is a kefir smoothie made with frozen fruit and honey.  Yum!

Blessings,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love comments so please share your feedback & let me know what you think!