Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hummus: Yummy & Easy

This post is a part of Fight Back Fridays at Food Renegade.

Since I had made some sourdough crackers last week I decided I wanted some hummus to dip them in.  Last time, also the first time, I tried making my own hummus I soaked & boiled up a huge batch of dried chick peas (garbanzo beans) and froze them in bags (2 c. each).  This way, when I want hummus I just thaw out a bag (I figure 2 c. is pretty close to what you'd get in one can, which is what most recipes call for.)  In my previous attempt at hummus I used a recipe that did not use tahini- and that hummus was bad.  You could just tell it was missing something (like, hmm, hummus?)  This time though the hummus was great!

Hummus
3/4 to 1 tsp. minced garlic (or one garlic clove)
2 cups (or 19 oz. can) garbanzo beans
4 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 Tbsp. tahini
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. olive oil

Combine all the ingredients in your food processor & process til smooth.  Use more or less garlic depending on your preference (more!).  I like to use the minced garlic that comes in a jar because I think it's so much easier than messing with garlic cloves.

Below is the hummus with my spinach sourdough crackers, but I actually found my favorite way to enjoy this is by dipping cauliflower in it- you must try it.  One day I also tried dipping my crackers in both hummus & tuna salad and that was a good lunch!
By the way, I did a little google on chick peas.  Did you know they are a good source of dietary fiber, protein and copper, and a very good source of folate, zinc and manganese?  Now that's the kind of snack (or lunch) you can feel good about!


Enjoy!
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love comments so please share your feedback & let me know what you think!